Thursday, August 15, 2013

Show and Tell: Not Just For Kids

Get to know your learner through a Show and Tell-like activity that also builds up your learner's speaking skills


Show and Tell, a well-known activity in children's classrooms, is suitable for adult English language learners (ELL) if used properly. 

Here's how to adapt Show and Tell to an adult English learner.

- Ask your learner if she has ever heard of Show and Tell. If not,
tell your learner that it is a classic activity in elementary school classrooms in the U.S. Then, give an example by sharing an object that has personal significance to you. Describe the object and where it is from, and explain why it is significant to you. Sharing a personal anecdote that reveals something about you (maybe your dream, a past disappointment, your weakness or strength) will allow your learner to connect with you and be more willing to share her own stories with you.


For example, an object I would share with my learner would be a pair of five-year old ballet pointe shoes. I took ballet classes for six years, and finally when I reached age 14, I got my first pair of pointe shoes. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to wear those shoes because my ankles were too weak to walk in them. Due to my increasing time commitment with schoolwork, I had to quit ballet before I could strengthen and condition my ankles through more ballet classes. Although I would make the same decision today if I had to choose between academics and a hobby, I miss ballet. My hope is to wear (and perform!) in those shoes someday. 

If I were to share this personal story with my learner, I would first be careful not to make the assumption that my learner knows what ballet is and would immediately understand what pointe shoes are. Before talking about the shoes, I would describe ballet as a performance dance - and showing pictures of ballet dancers would definitely help! After I offered some background information, then I would begin to talk about these ballet shoes and their significance to me.


- After you share your object and its story, ask your learner to do the same next time by bringing in an object of personal significance to share during the next lesson. 

- On the day learner presents, listen attentively and with real care. If you have questions, ask them. Let your learner do the majority of the talking.


Chances are, you'll learn something significant, self-revealing and perhaps emotionally evocative about your learner.

As an alternative, consider a themed Show and Tell in which both you and your learner bring an object related to a theme. For example, you can ask your learner to bring something she is proud of, an object important to her native culture, or an object from her childhood. You then should think about what you can bring to share along the same theme.

Show and Tell (or perhaps, Show and Speak) can be a wonderful warm-up to your weekly lessons or an occasional, fun activity. The activity will sharpen your learner's speaking skills, increase her level of self-confidence and trust in you, and allow the two of you to connect on a deeper level.


Happy Tutoring!

Jiyoung









Jiyoung Song
Programs and Social Media Intern, English At Large
Dartmouth College, Class of 2016 
 

ENGLISH AT LARGE
Literacy and Learning for Life
Join the conversation 
After

No comments:

Post a Comment