Tuesday, December 10, 2013

What Can a Poem Created by Your Learner Tell You?

Can your learner move beyond a regular response in LEA approach and create a poem?Can this poem tell about your learner's past life and future anticipations? Yes, it can! You'll be able to inspire your learner to write it. Here are some tips.

In a traditional LEA approach you give a prompt to your learner (a picture, a simple question, or a greeting) to make them talk about the experience you share together. Then you write down a transcript created by your learner which you will discuss together. 

Why not to move beyond a regular transcript and inspire your learner to be a creator of their own poem? Writing a poem does not sound like an easy task. My simple tips can help you to make it an enjoyable and meaningful activity.

I suggest inviting your learner to write an "I am from" poem. This title can be used as a prompt which will inspire your learner to think what can be included in their poem. 

Don't worry, your learner won't be left alone in making their own masterpiece. You will write down the skeleton of the future poem and show it to your learner.


"I am from"
  • I am from ____(location)
  • Where I hear____
  • Where I smell____
  • Where I feel____
  • I am the daughter of / the son of / the grandson of / the granddaughter of ____(the person who is important to you)
  • My mother/father/grandmother/grandfather is special to me because________
  • My mother/father/grandmother/grandfather helps me every day by____
  • Say anything you want_____

  • I am now from____(your new place)
  • Where I am most happy with____
  • I have dreams and desires to ____
  • And to be successful I need ____

You will read this skeleton line by line to your learner. You will ask your learner to imagine themselves in their native and present country and fill  in the gaps with words or phrases coming to their mind. After completing this task, your learner can read the whole poem and be proud of their small masterpiece.

If I were suggested this task I would create the following poem:

I am from Land of Happiness
I am from a picturesque place.
Where I hear the songs of mineral springs,
Where I smell fresh air,
Where I feel the life of happiness.
I am from my wise and kind-hearted parents.
They inspired me to do good things to people.
Good things always run ahead of us  and come back to us.
I am now from land of freedom.
It is a new home to enjoy a wonderful but challenging life,
Where I am most happy with my achievements and new ideas,
I am from dreams and desires to become an excellent teacher.
I will be a hard and disciplined worker to achieve my dream.
Won't this poem tell a lot about me?

Thus, the poem created by your learner will tell you about your learner's feelings, emotions, experiences, surroundings, future anticipations, and goals. Having learned about them, you will manage to build your future sessions in more exciting and meaningful way.

Happy tutoring!


Tatyana Pavlova
Bachelor of Arts in Linguistics/ Bashkir State University
MA Education/ESL 2014, Cambridge College
ENGLISH AT LARGE
Literacy and Learning for Life
Join the conversation 

No comments:

Post a Comment