Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Activities Fitting your Learners' Learning Styles: Bodily-Kinesthetic Learners

This post explores different ways to make the most of your learner's learning style and help them become successful learners. Try these techniques and activities to help your bodily-kinesthetic learners.

If you read my previous post titled Discover your Learner's Learning Style and Promote their Success in Learning, you learned that there are 9 basic types of learners. You have learned that your own observations and the multiple intelligence test can help you discover your learner's learning style.

In this post I will pinpoint activities especially for your bodily-kinesthetic learners. These learners often like to move and to touch objects to learn.

I am one of them. I learn effectively if I constantly change places and settings. Being a child I found it difficult to do my homework sitting at table. I loved to do my home assignments on the floor, on the sofa, on the bed, but not at table. My parents tried their best to wean me off that habit, but could not. I am still looking for the opportunity to move to study. Being a college student, I need to study a lot. Being a bodily-kinesthetic learner, I need to change places and environments to study. I have been to many coffee shops, cafes, and libraries while preparing my homework assignments. 


Every lesson in Russia lasts 45 minutes. Those minutes were maddening for me because we rarely moved during the lesson. Being a child I watched American movies, and American school featured in those movies seemed to me an ideal place. There students had a chance to sit in a carpet, or to move during the lesson. The chair and the table were the only avenues for learning in my school in Russia.




                                                  Regular Classroom in Russia

Luckily, some classes satisfied my thirst for moving and touching. In my art classes we drew pictures, in my labor classes (what you would call "home economics" or "home ec" in the U.S.) we cooked meals, sewed and knitted clothes, and made gifts for our nearest and dearest. In my music classes we danced to the tunes of songs. My music teacher always invited us to act out songs. I jumped into every single acting and dramatization opportunity. I enjoyed physical training lessons as well. There I had a chance to go skiing and skating, and I loved doing gymnastics. 



If your learner has a bodily-kinesthetic style, like me, they will like hands-on activities. You can invite your bodily-kinesthetic learner to look for the items belonging to a certain topic, for example, family, career, security, or emergency, and label them with a yellow sticker. Your learner can create birthday cards and letters of the alphabet with the help of construction paper. Your learner can create puzzles and posters by gluing on illustrations from magazines and newspapers. 

Another application of bodily-kinesthetic learning style involves participation in role-plays and dramatization. Invite your learners to 
act out different words or scenarios by moving around, dancing, and using their imagination. They can create their own scenarios or reproduce certain scenes from readings.

I hope this post has helped you to consider some of the different ways to appease your bodily-kinesthetic learners!

Happy tutoring!

Tatyana Pavlova
Bachelor of Arts in Linguistics/ Bashkir State University
MA Education/ESL 2014, Cambridge College

ENGLISH AT LARGE
Literacy and Learning for Life
Join the conversation 

No comments:

Post a Comment