Thursday, September 18, 2014

What is the TOEFL Test ? (Part One)

What is the TOEFL iBT test, from the perspective of a learner. 
The TOEFL iBT test (shortened as TOEFL below), which I took twice in 2011 and 2012, is an abbreviation of the Test of English as a Foreign Language, which is an internet-based test. I took it because I wanted to apply to graduate school in the United States and it was a requirement.

I had decided to continue my graduate study in the U.S. at the end of my exchange year in South Dakota. After doing some research, I found out that one of the requirements for me to apply to the universities in the U.S. was to take the TOEFL test. I had no clue what the TOEFL test was so I registered online to take a test in Sioux Falls, South Dakota (a place where average temperature during winter is -30 F). 
Map of South Dakota, Sioux Falls is on the South East of Aberdeen


I didn't prepare for the test as I only wanted to get an idea of what the test was. I thought it was the best way to understand the test, even though it was really expensive. I felt ripped off when they charged $160 for the test. As the tests were given on fixed dates, a couple of Chinese students from my school, Northern State University, went together for the test.

The city that I lived in in South Dakota was a three-hour drive to the city that had a TOEFL test taking center. There were no trains or other type of public transportation for me. The university provided a shuttle bus service for anyone who wanted to take the test. The "road trip" to Sioux Falls wasn't as interesting as we expected. We saw corn fields and cows on the side of the road, and after an hour, we still saw only corn fields and cows. 

We were bored so some of us fell asleep. I napped for a while, but due to excitement and nervousness before the test, I woke up after 20 minutes. We started to sing together to entertain ourselves, and most of the songs we sang were Chinese pop songs and every one on the shuttle bus knew them. It started to become fun and the time flew by as we enjoyed singing together. 

We got to a hotel in Sioux Falls that was close to the test center after dusk. We checked into the hotel rooms and four students got to stay in one room with two queen-sized beds. I stayed with my friends as we chose our own roommates. We settled down and chit chatted a little before went to bed. The shuttle bus ride and the hotel room cost us 70 bucks each, which I added to the cost of taking the TOEFL test and felt even more ripped off.

We got up early the next morning and had breakfast at the hotel. I had my favorite trip breakfast; waffles with strawberry and banana and cream. The shuttle bus drove us there earlier than expected because there were no accidents or traffic (although why there would be traffic in South Dakota is beyond me). It gave us enough time to relax before taking the test.

To continue reading, see my next blog post. 

Thanks for reading :)



Shiyi Zhang
Social Media Intern, English at Large
Suffolk University, MA 2014

ENGLISH AT LARGE
Literacy and Learning for Life
Join the conversation 

No comments:

Post a Comment