Thursday, March 6, 2014

Activities for Different Learning Styles: Verbal-Linguistic Learners

This post explores different ways to make the most of your learner's learning style and help them become successful learners. Try these techniques and activities to help your verbal-linguistic learners.


In this session I will pinpoint learning activities which will appeal to your learner if they are a verbal-linguistic learner. These kinds of learners like to use language to learn.

My sister Valentina is one such learner. Language is the main instrument of her learning. Once my sister has discovered and learned something, she immediately tells people about it using her beautiful and colorful speech. Using language excites her a lot, and she always tried to learn the most beautiful words and expressions in Russian. When I started to learn English seriously, she kept asking me to teach her the most beautiful expressions in the English language.

In my childhood, Valentina liked to initiate a city game. It is a popular Russian game. In this game you divide the page of your notebook into 4-5 columns, and title each column as a city, country, animal, plant, or name. One person tells a certain letter, other people should write down as many as possible words belonging to a certain category starting with this letter. I always lost in that game. My sister, having a great vocabulary, beat me every time.

My sister, being a big admirer of the Russian language, could not let it slip when people made mistakes in the Russian language. When they happened to say words incorrectly or inappropriately, she sarcastically told them, "Oh, you are speaking the greatest and the powerful language in the world." This is part of the famous and modified expression, 'The greatest, powerful, truthful, and free Russian language,' said by the famous Russian writer Ivan Turgenev. 

Being sensitive to linguistic mistakes, my sister gave a hard time to my grandmother. We belong to minority nation in Russia, called Chuvash. My grandmother was born speaking this language, and did not know a lot of Russian. Trying to speak Russian with grandchildren, she made lots of mistakes. My sister kept correcting my granny, driving her crazy. If Valentina noticed mistakes in the messages addressed to her, she pitilessly broke off contact with the authors of those messages. Her language brought her and our parents into trouble many times too, when she could not help but correct her teachers' slips of the tongue.


Image Source: Americasangel


Valentina is a vivid example of a verbal-linguistic learner. She is sensitive to language.

She would get excited doing crosswords, puzzles with written words, web word games, writing stories or letters in a Dialogue Journal, creating LEA transcripts and poems, listening to a story-teller, using rhymes to practice language, making poems, writing new words each day, and reading tongue-twisters and newspapers. If your learner has the same verbal-linguistic style, you can suggest them writing a poem as described in my post What Can a Poem Created by Your Learner Tell You?


Appealing to your learner's learning style, you will make your tutoring sessions more enjoyable and accessible to your learner. Stick with me and discover other types of learners in my future posts.

Happy tutoring!

Tatyana Pavlova
Bachelor of Arts in Linguistics/ Bashkir State University
MA Education/ESL 2014, Cambridge College

ENGLISH AT LARGE
Literacy and Learning for Life
Join the conversation 

No comments:

Post a Comment